The Benevolent Fund is an independent registered charity controlled by the Trustees.
The Benevolent fund has three main areas of activity;
- Support for trade education
- Support for City charities
- Support for community charities who use baking in their programmes.
- Bakers' Company provides Scholarships and Prizes for young people in the baking industry and endeavours to encourage them to become first-class tradesmen/women. It is closely associated with the National Bakery School, a part of South Bank University in London, situated nearby. Each year the top eligible student is awarded the Freedom of the Worshipful Company of Bakers and then may apply for the freedom of the City of London. Overseas study tours to Switzerland, Germany or France are organised each year.
Lessons in Loaf
“Lessons in Loaf” is an example of a baking related community programme. Children from inner city primary schools follow the journey of bread from the wheat field to the plate by growing and milling wheat and, with the assistance of members of the WCB, using it to bake bread.
Lessons in Loaf - Bakers Report 2020
The Worshipful Company of Bakers is proud to support Mayoral and City charities such as:
- Mayoral Abseil
- The Lord Mayor's Big Curry Lunch
- The Livery pancake race
- Veterans Aid
- London Schools Link
- Other Livery events, such as the London Bridge sheep drive